Tales from the Hill's Country

Quips, stories and observations from our adventures in marriage and parenting (as told by Katie).

Thursday, September 29, 2011

August Super Supper Club

I realize that we're coming up on October... but I was a slacker at the end of this summer and it's time to catch up.

So... here is our August Super Supper Club report!

The evening started off with an original creation by Mark:

I think it was a deconstructed muffalata sandwich? If that's not what is was called, then let's just call it "Delicious". He made the topping for the French bread. Then took the leftover topping and bottled it up for later. He said he uses it as a spread for sandwiches or a topping for meals. Isn't that a great idea? Instead of throwing away the extra, use it to jazz up your meals for the next week. Probably not a news flash to anyone but me... I thought it was brilliant!

Here is Mark with his wife... who announced she is three months pregnant with their second baby! Congratulations to the Krewe of Brew!

I had the main dish with Spinach and Prosciutto Stuffed Flank Steak (p. 195):
It looked amazing. And it was... ok. The warmed Prosciutto did not smell great to me. I have to say I prefer this rolled flank steak recipe from Williams-Sonoma.

Carrie prepared a great Butter Lettuce, Pomegranate and Walnut Salad (p. 116). Not only did it taste great, but I LOVED the bowl she brought to prepare it in!
Here's an action shot of Stephanie and I putting the final touches on the meal:
She prepared Roasted Cherry Tomatoes (p. 209) and for me, that was the highlight of the meal!
You can tell from the title of the recipe (but not really from the photo) that the tomatoes are roasted just enough to hold their shape in the dish, but pop in your mouth when you eat them. They are served warm and I just couldn't get enough!

Another highlight of the meal was that my sister-in-law, Laura, was in town and was able to experience SSC. Unfortunately someone deemed her photographer and we didn't get any photos of her visit! Doh! (That someone might have been me... but let's not point blame...)

Anyway,  here's a shot of *most* of the Super Club-ers sitting down to enjoy the meal:
The meal was rounded out with Ashley's Cinnamon Custard Tart (p. 234) which was not photographed. Oopsie. 

After the meal and the tart, we broke into shenanigans. I don't really want to re-live this photo:
So instead of writing a caption, I'll just remind Texas homeowners to go heavy on the roach traps during the summer. *Shudder*

In case this is your first visit to my blog, all of our recipes come from the Houston Junior League's award winning cookbook, Peace Meals. I have fallen in love with 95% of the recipes in this book and highly suggest you buy one for you and all of your friends today.

No comments:

Post a Comment