Tales from the Hill's Country

Quips, stories and observations from our adventures in marriage and parenting (as told by Katie).

Wednesday, February 15, 2012

It's Carnival Time

Growing up as a good, Texas girl, I was always taught that Mardi Gras was a dangerous, wild event that should be avoided.

Then I met Chris. On our second date he told me that not only does his family go to Mardi Gras, but that they actually rides in the floats! Thankfully, instead of running away from such a dangerous and wild family, I learned more... and now Mardi Gras is one of my favorite holidays!

Here are Chris and I at my very first Mardi Gras parade-- the Krewe of Jupiter in Baton Rouge:
For the record-- Chris told me NOT to buy that hat and that I would regret the purchase... four years later I still pull it out for various "crazy hat" events (which, of course I have many).

Unlike the parade that Chris rides in, the Krewe of Jupiter is co-ed. If you look closely, you can spot Laura, Jojo and PD on this float:
Later, at the after-parade-party we enjoyed photo ops:
(That is Laura's brother, Fun Bobby, who came down from Chicago that year.)

There was lots of dancing, but I don't have many photos of that. Instead, I'll leave you with a photo of Jojo and Chris (and the cups that I painted for the occasion).
For more Way Back When-sday fun, check out the link below:

1 comment: