Tales from the Hill's Country

Quips, stories and observations from our adventures in marriage and parenting (as told by Katie).

Saturday, April 23, 2011

Houston Museum of Natural Science

About once a week you'll find me at Houston's Museum of Natural Science. As a part of my Junior League duties, I am a docent at the HMNS. On my scheduled days I give museum tours to 4th graders. I wasn't great at science in school. But, with this volunteer duty, I don't have to know everything about science... I just have to know more than a 4th grader! And I usually do.

I've been seeing this poster outside of the elevator every time I go up there to volunteer:
I love the tag at the top, "Find out why you're so dang proud."

This is advertizing a special exhibit that is only being shown for a limited time. Because this exhibit costs more than regular admission, I am not able to take the 4th graders through it. But, I'm a proud Texan, dag-nabit, so I spent some time exploring the exhibit after my duties last Friday.

This is a replica of a ship:
I don't remember which ship, though. (Oops.)

I saw a replica of my favorite Texas flag:
Then, I turned and saw what I thought was a replica of a cannon:
But then I read the little plaque that informed me it's the real deal. Amazing!

I only had about 45 minutes, so I didn't get to explore every corner of the exhibit, but I felt it was very well done and hope to go back and learn more about my Texan heritage!

No comments:

Post a Comment