Tales from the Hill's Country

Quips, stories and observations from our adventures in marriage and parenting (as told by Katie).

Friday, July 15, 2011

Busy, Busy World

When I was younger, one of my most favorite books that my mom read to me was Richard Scarry's Busy, Busy World. (It's kind of ironic, since as an adult I'm always feeling busy, busy!!)

One of the characters I loved was named "Lowly Worm":

I even had a little stuffed animal (I think my mom made it?) of the character!

This weekend I was out shopping and I did a double-take when I saw this:
Lowly Worm! In an apple car!

He even made little noises. I was very tempted to deposit a quarter and travel along with Lowly Worm... but of course, I was busy, busy and had to keep up my shopping pace. Ever wonder where your childhood went? Well a little piece of mine is situated between Banana Republic and Ann Taylor at the strip mall in Baton Rouge.

2 comments:

  1. You did love Lowly Worm,and I still have Lowly in a box somewhere (I didn't make him, I found him at a garage sale!) We laughed like crazy at all the antics of the Busy Busy World characters, like Glip and Glop, Sneef the Detective, Schtoompah, Noah the Boa, and my favorite, Smudge the German Chimney Sweep. Ahhh, thanks for the memories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that story too! I always talk to my co-workers about old books, movies, and tv shows we grew up with! O How I would love to have those days back!

    ReplyDelete