Tales from the Hill's Country

Quips, stories and observations from our adventures in marriage and parenting (as told by Katie).

Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Mini Mommy School

In an effort to stave off afternoon boredom, I planned a week of fun activities for Bradley and I. A got the idea from a book called, Before Five in a Row which suggests that you read a book five days in a row- adding on various activities each day.

This week we did Goodnight Moon. Here's part of our first day.

We made "Red Balloons". Here's Bradley, mixing the flour and water:
I added in red coloring and we dipped cotton balls into the mixture:
(You'll also notice I got smart and took off his shirt!)

We started dipping with the clothes pins, then moved to just using hands:

Then we washed hands while the covered cotton balls baked in the oven.

This might have been Bradley favorite part!
The result was about two dozen hard "red balloons" that crunched when stepped on!

I thought Bradley would love stomping on them, but instead he wanted to dissect them:
 Taste them:
And listen to the crunch:

All in all, I think he really liked it!
And I learned that the process is MUCH more fun for toddlers than the "goal". AND I learned to be flexible and let him decide what to change/how long to spend on each thing. (We spent 15 minutes making the "red balloons" and 25 minutes "washing hands"!) All in all a good first afternoon!

1 comment: