Tales from the Hill's Country

Quips, stories and observations from our adventures in marriage and parenting (as told by Katie).

Tuesday, May 17, 2011

The Campsite

After landing at the Orlando airport, I hopped on the Disney bus to my campsite. Before getting there, though, they dropped other guests off at other resorts. Which just teases a camper like me.

First we passed this beautiful resort:
And this one:
And finally we saw this sign:
And after a quick check-in I was taken to this beautiful plot of land:
Um... can I go back to that first resort??

But it wasn't too long before I made this little plot of land my home:
As someone who doesn't love to be outside for long periods of time... it was kind of a big deal that I chose to camp-out for a week... alone. But once that last tent pole was staked into the ground I actually put my fist up in the air. Victory! It was a proud moment.

It's a four man tent and is tall enough in the middle for me to stand-up in. It was actually quite roomy:
I strung Christmas lights around the outside so I'd have light when I came home at night. And I strung Chinese lanterns on the inside so I'd have a nice glow as night before I went to sleep:
Having light at night is a big deal for a lady camping alone. Keeps the boogy man away. (That and my bear alarm and my air horn!)

I rented a bike for the week and this little beach cruiser took me everywhere I needed to go at the campground!
I was impressed with how many bike racks there were at the grounds.

Each morning I woke up and zipped on my bike to the marina (to catch the boat) or the bus stop. One morning, I found many more bikers sharing the road:
There was a triathlon going on! Do you think they noticed I wasn't in the race?
(Imagine me on this with flip-flops and a long skirt...)(And it's a beach cruiser-- to apply the breaks you push back on the pedal!)

I texted Chris and told him that's probably the closest I'll ever get to participating in a triathlon!

One night, I biked over to the campfire. There they had a movie and a roaring fire. I ordered my food to go and enjoyed Tangled!
(On the left is the large movie screen.)

Then, I picked up some marshmallows and a roasting stick for dessert!
(On the right is a nice campfire and benches to sit on while you roast your marshmallows!)

That was one of my favorite nights!

When it was time to leave, I packed my bags. Can you believe I survived a full week with only the contents of these two suitcases and two carry-ons?
Like a good girl scout, I left my campsite clean, with one exception:
I left my beloved quillow. I made this quillow (it's a quilt that folds into a pillow!) with my mom and my best friend Lindsay when I was 16. Over a decade of use and love, it was very worse for the wear and I had decided that this camping trip would be its last time to keep me warm. After packing up everything else, I gently folded it and placed it on the table. I'm sure it is now playing with all the other well-loved blankets at the campsite in the sky...
Of course the camping portion was just a tiny part of my adventure at Walt Disney World... Coming up: Restaurant Reviews, Ride Re-caps and Tricky Transportation!

No comments:

Post a Comment