Tales from the Hill's Country

Quips, stories and observations from our adventures in marriage and parenting (as told by Katie).

Thursday, June 14, 2012

Waiting and waiting and waiting and waiting...

Despite the wonderful care we received at MD Anderson (and despite how impressed we were with their efficiency and facilities) Chris and I have spent a lot of the past six weeks waiting. We have gotten to know the elevator alphabet, the "good" cafeteria and the best way to bounce from building to building. One of the hardest things about the waiting was that Chris' name could have been called at any moment. So although we were sitting there for an hour, I was afraid to sneak down and get a snack because I just knew that the moment I did, Chris would be called. For someone who is 6 months pregnant, this can become an issue.
Enter, the Jolly Trolly!

This volunteer-run "business" goes around to the various waiting rooms and offers food and beverage choices for a nominal donation. This man came towards the end of one of our marathon days and I couldn't have been more thankful! All the snacks I had packed for myself were eaten and I was starting to get way cranky.

I found different ways to entertain myself during these waits (usually in the form of iPhones and iPads) but Chris, being the diligent worker that he is, was often found writing reports and returning emails on his laptop:
Thank goodness for the free wifi that they have throughout the MDA campus!

I'm on "volunteer sabbatical" during Baby Hill's first year... but I might just look into being a Jolly Trolly attendant once that year is up. What a needed (yet often overlooked) amenity for patients and their (sometimes pregnant and hungry) care-givers!

8 comments:

  1. Katie, thank you for sharing your experience as a caregiver to your husband. I know it's not easy and I can't imagine how much more difficult it would be when you're pregnant. You are an AMAZING woman!

    I've been following your blog for some time now, waiting on the right moment to contact you... This post was it.

    I work in the communications office at MD Anderson and would love to speak with you about potential collaborations. If you're interested, please email me at lrichardson1@mdanderson.org

    Thank you,

    Lucy Richardson

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Katie, I love all of your posts. You are an amazing caregiver!! So proud of you! Looking forward to seeing you Saturday, baby shower and seeing how Chris is gettting along. Hope you had a relaxing time with family while Chris is recovering!

      Rachael Neihart

      P.S. Lucy, this is Rachael Neihart from First Presbyterian, i met you when you came to visit and hope you decide to come back sometime, would love to meet up with you again!

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

      Delete
    3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

      Delete
  2. That sounds like a wonderful opportunity! :) I am also happy that they offer that got patients and their loved ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, Anna! That man was an angel for me that (long and hungry) day! :)

      Delete
  3. MD Anderson = mostly all day Anderson :) gotta love such a phenomenal institution right in our back yard! Great job Katie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it true?? It's such a good thing... but not when I wasn't prepared! Now I pack double the snacks! :)

      Delete